Ladies and gentles, Emmy Night has arrived. Cocktail up:
I will not be live-blogging, or probably even watching, the event. For live-blogging, go to your one true source for all things Mad Men, the Basket of Kisses. (I said I’m not watching; not that I do not have an agenda.)
Even in the best years I don’t watch the Emmys. And this is not the best year: I have jury duty next week, and a new job as well. (For which I already have homework.) So, needless to say, I will be cooking.
And after 10 p.m., I have a standing appointment with circa-1965 Manhattan. As you damn well know.
But all of this aside, I have Hopes:
- I hope that this is the last year that Vincent (Pete “Christ-on-a-cracker!” Campbell) Kartheiser gets left off the list of nominees.
- I hope the Academy of Television Arts and Flyswatters is seating Jon Hamm that close to the stage for something more than the obvious decorative purpose.
- … And it better not be for the one scene he played, wearing hooks for hands, in 30 Rock this year.
- I hope that Christina Hendricks wins her category. (There, I said it; she is not even the favorite from the show on the supporting-actress short list.)
- I hope that, should Julianna Margulies win (as I expect), she says something wonderful about January Jones.
- I hope, against every legitimate hope in the world, that January Jones wins.
- Finally, I hope a chandelier or something falls near the Lost people, so that their fans and I can argue for years about whether it was rigged.
Best of luck to the best damn bunch of TV-watchers in the world: scripted television fans. You. Thank you for taking arms against a sea of troubles (and by “troubles”, I mean: White-House-party-crashing, debt-addled anorexics; equally debt-addled table-flippers; and young men who are very unkind to young women). By opposing, I — perhaps you? — seek to end them.
Go bravely, my friends, into that gold night. Hydrate, take breaks, don’t throw your drinks at the screen, and remember … there’s always Twitter.
(Agenda-free live-blogging: start with The Fug Girls.)